Company Logo

Sign Up

Sign up here to receive new posts from SolutionsForYou Organizing in your inbox. You might even receive occasional subscriber-only offers as well!

Follow by Email

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Inspiration Wednesday

E-mail Addiction: A Real Problem

E-mail is a valuable work tool, but also an addiction risk. E-mail addiction, to which IT workers and home-office based business owners are especially vulnerable since their workdays center around technology, can become a serious detriment to one's workplace productivity and personal life.

I know I am guilty of e-mail addiction even more now that I have an iPhone and can receive messages when I’m away from the office!

Warning Signs of Addiction:

Checking e-mail every 15 minutes or less.

Going through e-mail religiously when not at work.

Interrupting in-person activities on a regular basis to look at and respond to e-mail.

Interrupting non-professional life, such as sleep, family time, etc., to check e-mail.

Needing to respond to an e-mail immediately.

Feeling compelled to look at every e-mail.

If you fit the e-mail addiction profile, here are some steps to help regain your control over e-mail.

Adjust your e-mail client to check e-mail every couple of hours.

If you feel driven to check office e-mail from home, make a commitment not to look at it after a certain hour. Your family will thank you.

If possible, decide on certain times of the day to deal with e-mail and commit to that schedule. Such as first thing in the morning, before you go to lunch, and as you are wrapping up your day. You may be surprised how much time opens up in your day.

Remember that there is no such thing as an "emergency e-mail." If it's a true emergency, the method of communication should be a phone call, maybe a text message, but certainly not an e-mail.

What do you do to keep your e-mail addiction under control?

2 comments:

Megan@Disorder2Order said...

I turned off all my email notifications. This way, I only check email when I sit down to to it...

LESS TEMPTING!!!

Anne said...

Meg,
I admire your restraint and aspire to be more like you!

A bit about me...

I love to organize anything! I love to read anything on the subject of organizing. I especially love helping others learn the joy and simplification organizing habits and behaviors can bring to their lives.

Click here to learn a bit about me and visit our websites http://www.solutionsforyou.com/ (organizing services), http://www.instituteprofessionalorganizers.com/ (training and education for professional organizers) and my book web site http://www.getrichorganizing.com.

Anne Blumer

Anne Blumer
Certified Professional Organizer, Certified GO System Trainer and Consultant, and Certified FreedomFiler Consultant

Client Before and After Pictures

Certified Professional Organizer

Copyright © 2003 - 2014 SolutionsForYou, Inc. - All Rights Reserved