Skip to main content

Organizing Inspiration - How to Cut Your Grocery Bill

I'm determined to cut down our grocery bill. I have done a lot of research and learned a few new tricks. Here are my grocery bill cutting tips:

1. Clip coupons, but don't use them right away.

2. The coupons you clip in today's paper will be on sale in 4-6 weeks. Use them then for huge savings. Sale price + coupon.

3. Buy items when they are on sale--even if you don't need them right now, but you know they are items you will consume--stock up.

4. Shop at stores that offer double coupons--although I haven't found one in Portland yet.

5. Shop at warehouse stores such as WinCo for huge savings--especially buying their generic brand vs. name brand. I have saved as much as $1 per item by purchasing generic over brand. When it comes to canned water chestnuts I can't taste the difference between generic and brand--so why spend the extra $1?

6. Keep a grocery price book of the items you buy regularly. Note the regular price and sale prices so you know when to buy at the lowest price.

Yesterday, I went grocery shopping at Fred Meyer for just a few items, because they were on sale and I had coupons. I spent $61.83. If I had paid non-sale price and didn't use coupons it would have cost me $96.58 I saved $30.25 buying items on sale from their regular price plus $4.50 in coupons. I'm just starting out with coupon clipping, so if I had more coupons I would have saved even more.

By the way, chicken breasts are on sale for 99 cents a pound at Fred Meyer this week--I wish I had a bigger freezer!

What do you do to cut your grocery bill? Please share, because I'm determined to cut my grocery bill by more than 50% each time I shop.

Comments

Great, great post Anne! All very important points (I know you would know that I would have something to say about this topic)!

Since moving, I have had to reconstruct my entire shopping process. One thing I do is create my meals around the ads of what's on sale. Planning ahead pays off! The other thing is to really scour the blogs and other websites that offer coupons before shopping.

Like you, I went to the store today and spent $77, had I paid full price, I would have spent $120!

P.S. Safeway has a double coupon in their ads.
Anne said…
Hey Megan,
Great tips! I found the double coupons for Safeway and Thriftway in the paper yesterday. I made my rounds to Albertson, Safeway, and Thriftway and enjoyed $116 savings or 54% of my grocery bill--yahoo!

Popular posts from this blog

The A-List Way to Organize Photos (photo courtesy of unsplash.com)
Summer months are filled with special events such as graduations, weddings, and vacations.  That means lots of photos!  Nowadays, we capture these moments digitally.  But, for many of us, we have decades of printed photos waiting to be organized and preserved.  I have heard clients say they want to organize their printed photos but the task seems so overwhelming they just can't imagine where or how to begin.  I approach all organizing projects with my 5-steps to organizing® process.  Follow along as I take you through those steps to organize your printed photos.

Step 1: Strategize - How to Begin
What are your goals? Why do you want to organize your photos?Do you want to create memory books for your children?Do you want to relive a special trip or event?Do you want to know what you have?How do you want to keep your photos? Do you want to keep them in safe archival boxes?Do you want to scan them?Do you want to create memo…

Fall - A Time for Letting Go

Photo by Anne Blumer
October 14, 2016

The season has shifted and we are “officially” in fall.  When I think about the seasons and how they relate to organizing activities fall is about letting go.  Take a look outside, the leaves have turned to shades of golden and red hues and little by little each one is letting go.  This is a necessary process for trees to grow and become stronger.

The same can be said for our stuff.  When we hold on to stuff that isn’t serving us today we can’t easily experience personal growth because we stay stuck in our past or live in the futurejust in case we might need it someday.  Maybe we can’t let go because we have difficulty deciding what to do with something.  Perhaps our ADHD keeps us from focusing on organizing because it’s mundane. 

Whatever the reason is that you are holding on to stuff, I invite you to think about falling back into organizing habits that may have gone by the wayside. Take a cue from nature and let go.  Give yourself permissionto let g…

Garage Organization Demystified

Does the thought of organizing your garage seem too daunting?  Do you wonder where to begin when you can’t even walk in there?  When was the last time you were able to park your car(s) in your garage? Let me help you get started--because sometimes that's the hardest part!  Here’s how:
Preparation Set aside an entire weekend – schedule on your calendarSchedule a donation service to pickup your donations after the weekendGather Materialsdrop-box or a bagster for your mountain of discards that can’t be donatedtent canopy to set up in your driveway or yard to keep you shaded or dry during the process3-4 folding tables to set up under the canopy for sortingboxes for sorting items you want to keep and labeled by categoryIdentify the different categories of things you want to keep in your garage; i.e. sports equipment, tools, gardening, household supplies, automotive, camping, holiday, etc.Set-up your staging areaKeep Area - sorting tables and boxes labeled by categoryDonate Area - place t…