Company Logo

Sign Up

Sign up here to receive new posts from SolutionsForYou Organizing in your inbox. You might even receive occasional subscriber-only offers as well!

Follow by Email

Friday, June 5, 2009

How do you track and complete tasks?

As a matter of course I use Outlook tasks to track and complete my tasks. However, in the middle of the night that isn't convenient and it seems that is when my brain wants to dump my tasks. When I can't sleep because that little voice is telling me everything I need to remember or remember to do, I use post-it notes.

I jot down a word or more just so I remember the next morning when I look at them. Then I stick my post-it notes on top of my laptop (I use a docking station and a separate monitor). As I complete a task I remove the post-it note from the top of my laptop. If I haven't completed a note by the end of the day I transfer the task to my Outlook tasks.

But, somehow seeing the post-it notes on top of my laptop is a huge visual reminder for me and it keeps me on top of my tasks. Removing the notes from my laptop is even more satisfying than checking it off in Outlook.

When you need to do a brain dump what is your methodology?
How do you keep track of your tasks?

2 comments:

Berry K. said...

Hi Anne,
I like this idea! However I don't have my laptop with me all day. So I have a little 4 tab agenda/notebook with my tasks in it. The tabs are broken down to day/week/month/radar. I used to have a notebook for each of my different functions (volunteer work/ business/ job/ personal)but that drove me crazy!!
When I remember a task when I am almost falling asleep I jot it down on a little note pad that's on my nightstand and put the note pad on the ground in my path to the door, so the next morning I pick up the notepad and transfer it to my 4 tab notebook under the right tab. I carry the notebook with me at all times. Works for me!

Anne said...

Hi Berry,
Great idea and sounds like you found the method that works best for you [now]. That's the key!
Anne

A bit about me...

I love to organize anything! I love to read anything on the subject of organizing. I especially love helping others learn the joy and simplification organizing habits and behaviors can bring to their lives.

Click here to learn a bit about me and visit our websites http://www.solutionsforyou.com/ (organizing services), http://www.instituteprofessionalorganizers.com/ (training and education for professional organizers) and my book web site http://www.getrichorganizing.com.

Anne Blumer

Anne Blumer
Certified Professional Organizer, Certified GO System Trainer and Consultant, and Certified FreedomFiler Consultant

Client Before and After Pictures

Certified Professional Organizer

Copyright © 2003 - 2014 SolutionsForYou, Inc. - All Rights Reserved